_D. Appleton-Century & Co / New York / 1939.
cond. Near Fine / Hardcover / #PA0065 / image
A Near Fine copy with minor faults. With interesting ex library stamps.
Front cover end papers “U.S. CENSORSHIP EXAMINED by 421” & “WAR PRISONERS AID WORLD’S COMMITTEE – YMCA – GENEVA, SWITZERLAND” image_fc. On title page “PW CAMP – CAMP CARSON, COLO – CENSORED” & “EICENTRUM der BÜCHEREI – PROPERTY of the LIBRARY – PoW CAMP, CAMP CARSON – No, B/216” image_tp. Back cover end papers the property stamp a DATE DUE paper glued & the card with the BORROWERS NAMES (13 names) next to the DATE DUE (beginning from 15.5.45) image_bc.
English, translated from Norwegian by C. Archer.
Camp Carson was also home to nearly 9,000 Axis prisoners of war – mostly Italians and Germans. The internment camp at Camp Carson opened on the first day of 1943. These POWs alleviated the manpower shortage in Colorado by doing general farm work, canning tomatoes, cutting corn, and aiding in logging operations on Colorado’s Western Slope.
Camps built libraries to organize their reading material and prisoners often purchased their own, but they never had enough reading material, with an average of one half book per prisoner. The YMCA printed thousands of copies of books for the camps, and even provided bookbinding material so camps could repair them due to frequent use. Camps had subscriptions to American newspapers, and every camp published its own newspaper with poetry and short stories, puzzles and games, listings of upcoming events, and classified ads. Camp authorities recognized the periodicals’ value in serving as creative outlets and as accurate indicators of the prisoners’ views. The tone of their articles varied; some promoted Nazi ideology and foresaw German victory. Even as Germany’s defeat neared in early 1945, eight of 20 camp newspapers advocated Nazi ideology.